byline

Work and Play in Darsi's World

Monday, February 28, 2011

Floods!

It has been raining like crazy today, and it seems like all of East Tennessee is flooded.  When I got home this afternoon, I went for a walk on our greenway and took some pictures.  All I can say is that it's a good thing the lake isn't at full pool so all this water has somewhere to go.  The lake has risen about a foot already, and it always rises about twice as much on the second day after a big rain.

This picture is of Campbell Station Road by our Kroger.  Check out the waterfall off Kroger's little access road:


These are from a farm alongside Campbell Station Road on the way to our house.  Turkey Creek runs through the farm and is usually just a sleepy little creek you can't even see from the road.  



 Here is the end of that "sleepy little creek" just before it dumps into the lake:



Seriously, the creek is at least 30 yards out of its banks.  Here is a picture of the creek pouring into the lake at the opposite end of the cove from our house:


Looks like the lake will be muddy and trashy for a few days.  I've already found a basketball and a bunch of trash washed up by our boathouse.  Who knows what treasures tomorrow will bring?

2 comments:

  1. That's crazy!! We had some serious storms this afternoon, too. Hopefully it will calm down and start drying up soon. Amazing how quickly it rises, but how slowly it dries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I really feel bad for the JeffCo folks. It looks like they may have been hit the hardest around here. Lots of homes and cars flooded.

    ReplyDelete