Sigh. Sundays after a loss are so depressing.
Saturday just started off badly. I had to be at the office at 8:30 for some training on new computer software we're getting. At 8:30 on a Saturday! On a GAMEDAY Saturday! Really not pleased about that.
The day got better, however, when I got to go tailgate at the UT/UGA game with some good friends. We had a great time, and Christie Leigh Mueller, who wrote the "Gridiron Belles" book, stopped by our tailgate. As a side note, if you are a lady in the south and don't know much about football (I'm not sure how that happens exactly, but maybe you just moved here?), this book is a must-read for you. As a die-hard fan, some of the information in the book is a little basic for me, but the book also talks about things even I didn't know or wasn't completely familiar with, and it's got lots of fun pictures and info on tailgating in the SEC. If you are a football neophyte, it will definitely help you communicate with your football-crazed friends and family. Highly recommended.
Anyway, back to the tailgate. A good time and great food was had by all! Here's a pic of me with some of my favorite ladies:
We were able to watch the Florida/LSU game on a TV next to our tailgate, which maybe wasn't such a good thing. Sonda and her kids, who were all decked out in Florida gear (and were so adorable that the UT fans didn't give them much grief), were not impressed with the outcome, and it probably impeded upon her ability to enjoy the tailgate. She left at halftime of that game, and I left about an hour later so I could get home and watch Auburn play (you can't see my Auburn gameday bracelets in the above photo, but I promise they're there).
![]() |
| ATK, LMW, me, Sonda (with Elliott and Cade the BCS baby), and Christie Leigh |
We were able to watch the Florida/LSU game on a TV next to our tailgate, which maybe wasn't such a good thing. Sonda and her kids, who were all decked out in Florida gear (and were so adorable that the UT fans didn't give them much grief), were not impressed with the outcome, and it probably impeded upon her ability to enjoy the tailgate. She left at halftime of that game, and I left about an hour later so I could get home and watch Auburn play (you can't see my Auburn gameday bracelets in the above photo, but I promise they're there).
I knew Auburn was headed for a tough game. Arkansas looked REALLY good against Texas A&M last week, and Auburn has been pretty dang inconsistent in its first four games. Of course, I was hoping for a win, but barring that, I just hoped we could compete and make it a good game.
The game started off well, with Auburn getting on the board first. We went back and forth with Arkansas until the score was tied at 14. We then stopped scoring, and Arkansas kept going. We helped them out, of course, by throwing THREE interceptions. And not "wow, that defender did a really good job getting in there and getting the ball" interceptions, but "why the hell is the QB throwing the ball directly to a defender?" interceptions. And penalties! Geesh! We had SO many penalties, mostly on offense - we shorted ourselves by over 100 yards with stupid penalties. Even Lutzenkirchen, who you know I love, had two penalties, and that NEVER happens with him. I think they just got flustered and frustrated and let their heads get out of the game. Very disappointing.
Again, the defense did a good job (notwithstanding the score) and usually was able to stop Arkansas or perhaps hold them to a field goal after a turnover on offense, but they weren't getting much rest between their defensive series and another offensive blunder that would send them back on the field, so I'm sure they were exhausted. They impressed me, though, by continuing to play hard through the end of the game even when it was obvious that we were going to lose. The offense, on the other hand, just appeared to give up. And since Arkansas wasn't turning the ball over, it's kind of hard to score points when your offense doesn't have its head in the game.
I'm moving on, though, because next week I will be IN AUBURN for the Florida game. I could not be more excited for my first return to the Plains following the BCSNC. I'm fired up, and I hope the team is as well. WDE!

No comments:
Post a Comment