byline

Work and Play in Darsi's World

Monday, October 15, 2012

Week 7: Ole Miss

I don't always cry over football, but when I do it's because my Tigers are FREAKIN' KILLING ME.   
 
I'm so frustrated and so mad at them.  Every week I get my hopes up thinking this will be the week things finally turn around, and every week I'm disappointed.  Their stupid in-fighting in the locker room, alleged lack of leadership, and general incohesiveness are really starting to piss me off.  Last week I was mad at the Auburn fans for not acting like a family; this week I'm mad at the team for the same reason.  With the exception of a few people, it's like they all have their own individual agendas and have forgotten the team concept.  I feel like I care more about the outcome of these games than a lot of the players do, and that's just ridiculous.
 
I was excited when, after the debacle that was the beginning of the first quarter when we were down 14-0, the team fought back and took the lead.  That's the Auburn I'm used to - they don't give up.  Unfortunately, however, when they were down late in the game, they DID give up.  It was so obvious - they just stopped trying.  I hate that defeatist attitude. 
 
My friend Debi made a good point last night when we were talking about the opportunity Ben and I had to get on the field last week.  I was just in awe the whole time of actually being on that field where so many wonderful things have happened and so many great players have stood.  I'm not a runner by any means (seriously, by ANY means), but when I was running around on that field, I felt like I could run all day.  As Debi pointed out, the guys on this team should feel the same way.  To them I would say that it is such a privilege and an honor to be on that field following in the footsteps of the greats who came before you.  You are one of a very few people who ever get to have that experience, so don't take it for granted!  Work your butts off AS A TEAM to be worthy of that field.
 
I was in a terrible mood Saturday afternoon and just did not love these guys at all.  As expected, though, I've bounced back and once again love them like they're my own kids.  Out of that love, Weagles are born.  So here goes:
 
1 Weagle to Tre Mason for several good runs, including two touchdown runs
1 Weagle to Cody Parkey for flawlessly executing and recovering an onside kick
1 Weagle to Emory Blake for a few good catches
2 Weagles to Daren Bates for 16 (!) tackles
1 Weagle to Clint Moseley for finding a good groove and making some really good passes before the unfortunate interception at the end
1 Weagle to each of Jonathon Mincy and Craig Sanders for being constant threatening presences on defense and contributing to several tackles for loss
 
On to next week at Vandy.  Maybe this will be the week things finally turn around...


No comments:

Post a Comment