Yesterday I came home to the sight of our front porch being built. I've loved watching the framing of the house, but it's been going on for so long now, I really needed something new to entertain me. Sorry, framers, but I've moved on to masons. It's not you; it's me.
These masonry guys do not mess around. Yesterday morning was the first day they were here, and they built all of the walls for the porch, the basement fireplace, and the chimney up to the main floor. It's like an ant hill - these guys are just scurrying all the time. And they work until it's too dark for them to see. Hard-working guys, I'm telling you. They wear me out. And AGILE - they were taking wheelbarrows full of fire brick, block, or whatever across a 2x8 bridge from the tailgate of a truck to our door (approximately 15 feet long?), and doing it quickly. And they are so incredibly polite. Everything is "Yes, ma'am," or "Yes, sir," or "We just really appreciate the work." I really like these guys.
![]() |
| Porch walls |
![]() |
| Chimney coming up from the basement to the main floor |
Today when I got home, the framers were working on framing the roof for the front porch, and our contractor was working on getting the steel posts for our deck up. The masons were working on the main level fireplace.
![]() |
| PMac gets some quality time with his excavator. Love his innovative way of raising deck posts. |
![]() |
| These are the posts that will support the lake side of the deck. They'll be covered with stone eventually. |
![]() |
Deck post connected to the footers PMac so artfully poured last week
|
![]() |
| Porch roof framing |
The main level fireplace is taller than the basement fireplace, so I wanted a decorative pattern since you will see more of the fireplace walls. I chose this basket weave pattern, and I am so in love with it.
The guys are doing a fantastic job, and this fireplace may be my new favorite thing in the house. This is compounded by the fact that our contractor told me they won't have to take part of my shoe closet for the chimney! We originally thought that the chimney for the basement fireplace would have to run behind the upstairs chimney (long story, but we were originally considering Isokern fireplace kits, and that's apparently just how they work), but we decided to have built-from-scratch fireplaces instead, and they can run the chimneys side-by-side. So I will have a bigger shoe closet than I thought, AND I get this awesomely beautiful fireplace. So excited. I can't wait to see what changes we have the rest of this week.








No comments:
Post a Comment