byline

Work and Play in Darsi's World

Saturday, September 5, 2015

BlAUging: Louisville: September 5, 2015

Well, that wasn't exactly how I envisioned this game.
 
Petrino is a good coach (not necessarily a good person, but a good coach), so I knew this wouldn't be an easy win, but after the first half I did think we'd have a comfortable lead at the end.  I don't know what happened to our defense in the second half, but they just didn't have an answer for Louisville's quarterback.  I was really happy with the defense (#FastPhysical) in the first half, but the second half was pretty much a disaster.  And I don't think our offense really got going all night.  We got some good help from our defense getting turnovers that resulted in points, and we had some good moments running the ball, but it felt a little one-dimensional to me.  Jeremy Johnson made a few good throws, but three interceptions?!  Geez.  I hope he's able to settle down and start making better decisions.  He's a better QB than we saw tonight.
 
Anyway, a win is a win, even if it was secured by Petrino inexplicably calling his final timeout in a way that allowed us to basically run out the clock on them instead of saving it to try to give them time to tie the game.  What was that all about?!  Guess he was late for a hot motorcycle date.
 
Some observations:

1: Verne and Gary are up to their same old tricks.  I swear, watching a game on CBS is dang near unbearable.  An Auburn friend and I were keeping up a running ticker on Facebook of all the names they mispronounced (and this was just the Auburn people - we wouldn't really know if they messed up the Louisville people):

 
The list went on and on, but this is all of it that I could capture in one screenshot.

2:  I love the orange shoes, Auburn!  Those look sharp.

3: I do NOT love Louisville's uniforms.  What's with the weird font on the numbers and the names on the back?  Verne and Gary described them as "nifty" and "cute," respectively.  When you are a football team and your uniforms are described as "nifty" and "cute," perhaps you should donate them to some Girl Scouts and start over.

4:  I find myself engaging in a lot of the same behavior at home as I do in the stadium.  When we're on defense, I'm constantly talking, clapping, and cheering the guys on.  "Let's go Auburn.  Come on, Tigers.  Get me a turnover.  Let's go, D!"  When we're on offense, I'm silent.  Granted I'm a lot louder in the stadium than I am at home (mainly because I don't want to scare my dog), but I laughed at myself when I noticed myself getting louder on third down defense.

5:  Even though the defense was a little lackluster in the second half, we played the game largely without committing stupid penalties, so I was happy to see that.  Last year it seemed like every time we did something good on defense, it was negated by a late hit or other personal foul or other stupid, unnecessary penalty.  It looked like there was a lot more discipline in this game, so that's definitely an improvement.
 
The first Weagles of the year go to Tray Matthews for his INT on the opening play; Justin Garrett, who redeemed himself after a facemask penalty with a fumble recovery returned 82 yards for a TD; Daniel Carlson for his career-best 56-yard FG (56-yarder...); Peyton Barber for rushing for 116 yards, making some good blocks, and being a real workhorse all night (and for somehow getting a heart-shaped hole torn in his pants right on one of his butt cheeks - Dana Marquez would've gotten a Weagle if we had seen him sewing that up on the sidelines); and Johnathan Ford for leading the defense with 12 tackles.

Can't wait to be in Auburn for the home opener next weekend!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment