byline

Work and Play in Darsi's World

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

BlAUging: San Jose State: October 3, 2015

The Homecoming game against San Jose State was about what I expected.  We won pretty handily and had a fun, stress-free time.  We've begun to recognize members of the alumni band who come back for Homecoming every year.  This former majorette is one of them.  She's probably in her 70s and can still strut with the best of them.
 
 
There's also an elderly clarinet player who has been there the past few years, but he wasn't there this year.  I would guess he was in his upper 80s, and I suppose we've seen the last of him, which was sad. 
 
Anyway, the weather for the game was just about perfect temperature-wise, but there was a pretty steady mist all afternoon, which caused me to wear my rain jacket.  I opted against the rain pants because the whole outfit is really hot (the material is not breathable, so it's like a steam sauna if it's warmer than 30 degrees outside).  That's as good a segway as any to a new feature of my BlAUgs.  When Caryn and I go to these games together, we always end up laughing hysterically at least once, if not several times, about something.  Caryn said last week that we needed to start recording our conversations.  I don't think we should take it that far, but I'll include some of our funnier moments in my BlAUgs.  The first such moment occurred courtesy of my rain jacket, which was steaming my upper body throughout the game because the temperature outside was in the mid 60s.  I had told Caryn earlier in the day that the jacket was made of something like rubber (I honestly don't know what it is, but it's rubber-esque).  At one point when there was a particularly strong breeze, I said, "Man, that feels great.  The breeze is releasing some steam from my rubber."  Yep, I said that. 
 
At one point early in the game, the video board was showing a live shot of another game during a time-out or something, and I commented that the underdog was winning that game (I don't remember which game it was).  Caryn said, "Yeah, and 4th and 140."  I looked at her like she was crazy and said, "4th and 140?  That's not even possible; the field is only 100 yards long!"  Caryn's response: "No, it's the 4th quarter and there's a minute 40 left."  Yes, that makes more sense.  As I'm writing these, they don't seem nearly as funny as they did at the time, so maybe you just had to be there, but we were dying.
 
I don't even remember what we were laughing so hard at on the drive home that I literally almost peed, but it probably had something to do with this car:
 
 
I know it's a low-quality image, but you can probably tell what the thing is (or what it's supposed to look like) on the back of the car.  This car had signs all over it saying stuff like, "Bama Sucks" and my personal favorite, "Bama, get up on these nuts" (pointing, of course, to the contraption on the back).  So I think it's safe to say we found Auburn's trashiest fan. 
 
 But back to the game:
 
Two Weagles this week go to Rudy Ford, who ran back two kickoffs for a total of 81 yards and was named the SEC's Special Teams player of the week.  In the LSU game, I mentioned that Rudy was showing a lack of hustle, but I really saw him put forth a lot of effort in this game.  He also had 14 tackles and forced a fumble.  Peyton Barber gets 2 Weagles for rushing for 147 yards (that's 100+ in 4 out of 5 games, for those who are counting) and all 5 Auburn touchdowns.  One Weagle each goes to Justin Garrett and Carlton Davis, who each got an interception, and Dontavius Russell and Jonathan Jones, who each recovered a fumble.  Kris Frost also gets a Weagle for his 12 tackles. 
 
It'll be about a month before we get another of our traditional pregame selfies, although I may have a couple with Ben in between.
 

We had our open date this past Saturday (which allowed me to tailgate with Ben and concentrate fully on that awesome Vol win over Georgia); we play at Kentucky Thursday night (the next stop on my and Ben's SEC Stadium Tour); we're away at Arkansas on the 24th; and Ben's coming to Auburn/Ole Miss with me on Halloween.  I think after that we're away at Texas A&M, but by gosh after THAT, Caryn and I will be BACK.

No comments:

Post a Comment