After more than a two-month hiatus thanks to The Covid's somehow convincing the U.S. Forest Service (and others) that it made sense to close trail access points to keep people from congregating on hiking trails, WE'RE BACK! Yes, I probably could've found my way onto the trail during the closures, but I'm generally a rule follower, more out of respect for the people who maintain the trails than anything (if the people who do all that work want me to stay away for a bit, then who am I to argue?). But man, it was getting to the point where I was going to have to engage in some civil disobedience, mountain trekking style. So I was thrilled when I heard that AT access points in Pisgah and Cherokee National Forests would be reopening yesterday, especially since I had sort of planned a hike in that area anyway and was just hoping the parking lots would be open. 😬
Not only were the parking lots open, but they were well-marked and easy to find! Just before both of the lots we used on this hike, there was a sign on the roadway that said "Devils Fork Gap" or "Sam's Gap" and the elevation. Thankyouverymuch, NCDOT, for wrapping that up with a nice little bow for us. Much better than the Spivey Gap parking area from our last hike that was supposed to be just past some imaginary campground. But I digress.
I won't say that this hike was an easy hike, because I don't think there are very many of those on the AT. But it certainly wasn't among the most difficult we've done. It was relatively short, as Ben was concerned that he hadn't hiked in over four months and probably didn't want to just dive back in with a 15-miler. So we planned for just under 9 miles. It also didn't have a ton of elevation change. The first 6.6 miles were a pretty steady climb, followed by a little dip, then a climb to get back to the previous elevation after the dip. Some of the areas were steep, and it was a long climb, but it wasn't anything crazy. The weather was just about perfect. We wouldn't have minded 10-20 degrees cooler, but there was a great breeze most of the day that made it feel much cooler than it actually was.
There were some pretty streams and cascades in the first couple of miles.
Tigger really enjoyed this one that was just his size.
There has been a lot of rain in the area for the past week or so, so the streams were flowing pretty well.
Some parts of the trail were a little squishy, but other parts were just perfectly softened, so it felt like we were walking on slightly springy gym flooring or something like that. A pleasure for the feet! Of course, there were also some rocky areas, and walking on wet rocks is always a little hazardous. At one point my back foot slipped and caused me to tweak my back a little, but it seems to be okay today (the day after).
As for notable wildlife, we saw a turkey, a deer, and this tiny, cool orange lizard.
We never got up high enough to have any truly spectacular panoramic views, but we did have some nice views when we broke out into a couple of "flats" areas. This was the first one.
While I was appreciating that view, I'm glad something told me to look back over my shoulder, because THIS view was behind us:
I think I let out some loud exclamation when I saw it that caused Ben to think there was a bear sighting or something equally crazy happening. He jumped and spun around, and I think he was a little disappointed that I got so excited over a view. But the views (and the food) are my biggest loves when it comes to hiking, so here we are.
We missed a lot of wildflowers blooming over the past month or so, but I was pleased to see that there was still some kind of trillium (I think) blooming. It looked like a lot of the trillium had bloomed several weeks ago, but these guys apparently bloom a little later.
We took a short side trail to High Rock looking for another view. I wouldn't exactly call it a "trail" because it was more scrambling on rocks than anything, but there was a view as promised, and we ate our lunch there.
One of my new pairs of hiking shoes made their maiden voyage today, and I really liked them. These were the Hoka Speedgoats. I tested the GoreTex waterproofing on all the streams within the first mile or so, and they were as advertised! The cushioning in these shoes was super comfortable, and they're relatively lightweight and good for summer hiking. I hadn't broken them in hardly at all, so I just slapped on some extra Band-Aids and figured I'd get that out of the way on this relatively short hike. 😆 With the exception of just a little rubbing on my left heel, it felt like they were well-broken-in the whole time. No complaints from my feet on this hike.
Overall, it was a nice hike. We had some waterfalls; we had some views; and I got to eat pizza for dinner. So good to be back!
162.2 down; 2027.8 to go.


















No comments:
Post a Comment