We headed back down to northeast Georgia this weekend to hit another little section of the AT. It's a pretty long drive down there if you want to be on the trail by 8 like we usually do, so we decided to get a cabin down there and drove down Friday night. The cabin was in Sautee Nacoochee, GA, and I really don't know how they pronounce the first word (whether it's the French pronunciation or whether it sounds more like "Saudi"), but either way, it's funny.
It rained pretty much the whole way on our drive down, and it poured rain all night at the cabin. On one hand, that was really great because the cabin had a metal roof and I freakin' love a good rain on a metal roof. On the other hand, it was a little discouraging because I woke up at 4:30 AM to a torrential downpour and began wondering if I was going to have the motivation to get up and hike. I don't mind hiking in the rain. I've got appropriate rain gear, and if I'm out hiking and it rains, so be it. However, I seriously wondered whether I'd really want to get out of a dry car and start a hike in such heavy rain. Luckily, I didn't have to find out. The radar showed that the rain was supposed to move out around 8:00 and wasn't supposed to come back until about noon. I began to wonder as it rained throughout our drive to drop off a car at our ending point and was still sprinkling as we were driving from there to our starting point, but it stopped just before we got to our starting point, and the sun actually came out for a little bit, giving us this awesome view from Woody Gap:
![]() |
| This is the view from the parking lot. You don't even have to hike to get this view! |
Sadly, however, cloud cover would move back in. And when I say "cloud cover," I mean covering the entire mountaintop, so we walked in a foggy haze for most of the day.

Because of all the rain overnight and for part of the morning, trail conditions were wet and muddy.
All of the water sources were flowing well, and there were even some extra "water sources" (a/k/a rain puddles) all along the trail. Tigger decided these were the best hiking conditions EVER.
![]() |
| The rain puddles were really muddy, which Tigger loved. He was black with mud all over his legs and belly most of the day. |
![]() |
| Luckily, when we were coming down the Byron Reece Trail back to our car, we found a couple of nice flowing streams to wash him off. |
![]() |
| This was one of the steeper areas in the sawtooth section of the climb, with log stairsteps. |
![]() |
| The trail maintainers were also kind enough to turn this fallen log into a little seat, which Tigger took advantage of. |
![]() |
| Higher up, during the last mile of the climb, the stairstep work with these stones is pretty impressive. |
The actual summit of Blood Mountain is just past the shelter, and it's basically a big slab of rock.
![]() |
| I bet there are some amazing views up here on a clear day. As it was, we could just barely make out some mountains in the distance. |
As I would soon find, pretty much the whole north side of the top of the mountain was a big slab of rock. As you might guess, descending a big slab of wet rock with shoes that are slick with mud is not exactly a safe or fun task, but we all managed to make it down injury-free.
![]() |
| The blaze indicates that, yes, this big slab of rock is your trail. |
![]() |
| More solid work by the trail builders/maintainers here. |

























No comments:
Post a Comment