byline

Work and Play in Darsi's World

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Construction Blogging: Sheetrockin' Down to Electric Avenue

Things have actually been moving along pretty well on the house lately.  I don't have a lot to complain about, but you know I've got to find something, so here goes:

The tub for my master bath is (1) beautiful; (2) comfortable; and (3) expensive AF.  It has also been sitting in its box in our garage for months because they're not ready to install it in the bathroom yet.  Word on the street is that the tub is better protected from ongoing construction activity in its box than it would be if it were installed.  The evidence has determined, however, that that is a lie.

Exhibit A: workers are piling steel woodstove parts and other things on top of the tub.


What other things are they piling on the tub, you say?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  It appears that my tub has become a countertop for a tortilla-cooking griddle.


And also apparently a table where things are eaten and sauce (please let that be sauce!) is spilled.


We have come in the garage several times to find things piled on the tub.  We always "unpile" them and tell Luis, our project manager, that he's got to tell the subs to quit putting stuff on the tub.  Apparently that's not working, so I left a note:


The next day, this happened:


Bunch of assholes.  I mean, what's it going to take?  Do you guys want to buy me a new tub?  Because that's where we're heading.  One more time with a tirade to Luis (who is the sweetest man ever, and I really hate taking tirades to him), and I think we've solved the problem (until the next subs come in and don't know better).  

Anyway, aside from the tub saga, things have been going pretty well.  We got all the drywall installed and sanded within a couple of weeks, and now it has been primed and is ready for the trim guys to start doing their thing.




The front door is installed, and (knock on wood - see what I did there?) so far they're doing a good job of keeping it protected from all the work going on.  

No tortillas being cooked on this bad boy!

The front door is considerably different from the one on our last house.  I loved the old front door, but it was solid wood with glass only at the very top (same with the side lights).  That was perfect for our Turkey Creek house, where we sat pretty close to a busy road and needed a little more privacy.  At this house, however, we're out in the country, on a dead end road, and pretty far back from the road.  The foyer area is also a little more "closed up" because we have a closet under the stairs instead of a second staircase going down to the basement like we had in the old house.  So it doesn't feel as open, and we thought that having more glass in the door would help with that.  

In other news, they've dug the trench to run electrical service to the house, which is obviously a necessary step of getting the HVAC up and running, which is in turn a necessary step to be able to install the wood floors eventually.


And Aldridge is still making progress on all the stonework.  


As I mentioned, the next project on the inside is the trim.  Then our flooring is scheduled to start in the first week of May.  Still lots of stuff to do on the outside as well, but lately, progress has been good.





No comments:

Post a Comment