byline

Work and Play in Darsi's World

Monday, June 7, 2021

Construction Blogging: Doors and Floors

We're still plugging along at getting the house finished.  Still moving at a snail's pace, and still very frustrated.  The painters are working piecemeal at places where they can finish, like staining the beams in the great room and the tongue-and-groove ceilings on the porches.



We can't get the beams up on the back porch, and they can't finish siding, trim, and paint under the back porch roof, until we get the dang corner windows that go in the vault of the ceiling.  You may recall from this post that the windows were initially made wrong.  It took them forever to make the "right" ones, and after installing one of those, our guys discovered that it had the wrong trim profile on the outside and didn't match the rest of the windows on our house.  Really.  Another set of incorrect windows.  So we are STILL waiting for the correct windows for those corners.  A million months later.

And speaking of a million months later, I mentioned in my last post that our garage doors didn't actually get ordered back in DECEMBER when we ordered them from our guy (he supposedly turned the order in to his sales guy at Overhead Door, who then gave it to their "order lady," who completely dropped the ball).  When he learned IN MARCH that the doors hadn't yet been ordered (have I mentioned that Overhead Door is on a 12-15-week lead time?), he put the order in immediately and told us that Overhead Door was trying to expedite our order.  I was initially dubious about the whole "who forgot to order" story and didn't know whose fault it really was (Does it really matter?  I'm not getting my doors either way); however, I'm now convinced that Overhead Door is completely incompetent.  When we finally got the doors a couple of weeks ago, this is what they looked like:


This is what we had ordered (except in a 10x10 size; I didn't have any pics of the big doors on the old house before we painted them, so this is the standard-size basement garage door):



So, the color is obviously wrong, but that's not much of an issue because we're going to paint them anyway.  I imagine it will just take a LOT more primer to go from black to "earl gray" and "drifting dune" than it would if the doors had been white like we ordered.  But the entire design of the doors is wrong!  Except the windows.  I'll give them the windows.  Y'all, we SIGNED a PICTURE of the door we were ordering before our guy turned in the order so there was no question what door we were ordering.  And the ones we got looked nothing like that picture!

Anyway, perhaps because I'm just SO. TIRED. of waiting, or perhaps I'm just getting used to everything being wrong, the wrong doors are starting to grow on me, and I think they may work (they kind of continue the theme of the board and batten siding).  Our garage door dude is currently working with Overhead Door to see what kind of discount they will give us if we agree to just keep these doors, and if they're reasonable, we'll probably keep them (I can always replace them later if we hate them).  Who knows how that's going to turn out, though.  Their initial offer was $300 off, to which my response was, "Start making my damn doors."  Our door guy really doesn't want to install a second set of doors, though, so he's trying to convince them that they're being morons.  We'll see what happens, but until we do, these daggone doors are staying on my house because WE NEED CLIMATE CONTROL AT THIS POINT, AND HAVING THREE GAPING 10x10 HOLES IN THE HOUSE IS A PROBLEM.

Anyway.  I generally try to end these bitchy blogs on a high note to make myself feel better, so here you go.  One thing that (knock on wood) is going well so far is the flooring install (including installation of the tile shower in the master bath).  Dev has decided that our bonus room over the garage works pretty well as a dance studio, and I don't know whether she'll be happy or sad to lose the plywood tap-dancing platform, but it's starting to look more like the workout room/Ben's office/catch-all room that it will eventually be.



We did LVP in the bonus room because we knew we didn't want carpet up there, and it didn't make sense to spend a ton of money on hardwood or tile for a gym/hiking equipment/Dev's dance floor room.  I was actually pleasantly surprised at how good it looks, and it feels nice for a barefoot Barre workout or whatever.

The tile in the upstairs bath and the garage bath, breezeway, laundry, and pantry downstairs is all the same and has been installed.   I really loved the tile we used in these areas in our old house, but unfortunately it had been discontinued and I had to pick a new one.  I got one that was pretty close to the old one, and I'm good with it.


I went a little different with the master bath and am trying to keep it on the "cooler" side, so there are more grays and whites, whereas last time the tile was a light beige.



Definitely keeping my blue walls and decorative tiles, although the decorative tiles are different from the glass tiles we used last time.


They just started on the hardwoods this afternoon, so I don't have any pics of the progress on that yet, but it's moving along.  The hard flooring installer is the same one we had in the last house, and he's really, really good.  And a really good guy.  He says he'll be done by the end of the week, and I'm trying to get cabinet installation scheduled for next week.  Beyond that, I have no idea what's going on (usually nothing); and at this point I don't even care half the time.  This has been a really, really frustrating build.







No comments:

Post a Comment