I read on the news website this morning that there was a "shooting" last night in the Chapman Highway Wal-Mart (the same one I referenced in this post). Apparently Wal-Mart security detained a couple of shoplifters and called the police. When the police got there, one of the shoplifters pulled a gun on them, so one of the officers shot him. Amazingly, at least one person the news station interviewed was "shocked" that a police officer would discharge his weapon inside the building. My thoughts:
(1) What was the officer supposed to do when the perp pulled a gun on him? Politely ask him to step outside so that he could properly defend himself? "Excuse me, Mr. Armed Shoplifter, can we go to a more appropriate location for a gunfight so that I can shoot you before you shoot me but also not alarm anyone in the store?" I'm sure the shoplifter would've been happy to oblige.
(2) I feel like discharging my weapon every time I go in Wal-Mart. Every single time. That's why I avoid it as much as possible - I'm reducing the odds of me being jailed for shooting someone (or just firing into the air to clear the area so I can proceed without being blocked by a person who leaves her buggy in the middle of the aisle and walks over to the next aisle to grab her four screaming kids and pet monkey notwithstanding the fact that I'm clearly trying to get past her). I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way, so at any given time I probably would not be surprised to hear gunshots in Wal-Mart. If you shop there on Black Friday (which I have never, ever done), it is virtually guaranteed to happen. It's not that shocking.
Show of hands: upon reading the title to this post, how many of you actually thought I had gone shooting in Wal-Mart? :-)
Hahahaha! Though I share many of the same sentiments as you in regards to Wal-Mart, there is one thing that always brings a smile to my face (and an air of disgust at the same time).... www.PeopleofWalMart.com. LOL Always makes me laugh when I'm feeling blue. ;)
ReplyDeleteYes! I love that site! One of my cousins and I were just talking over the weekend about how the people in Wal-Mart never change. You could be in the most cosmopolitan city in the world, and the people in Wal-Mart would look just like the people in a backwoods Arkansas Wal-Mart.
ReplyDelete