It's a good thing I've never raised the bar on this blog so you people expect a post every day (or every week, or month...), because I've been slacking lately. Football season ends, and I get all depressed and lose my inspiration. I didn't even manage to blog about Christmas activities, which is so unlike me.
Without further ado, it's time for a new lunch-related post. I guess I should explain first that Bob and I have a new lunchtime compadre. Earl has fallen by the wayside and has been replaced seamlessly by a companion who will remain nameless (at least for now - we have yet to choose a psuitable pseudonym for her). A couple of weeks ago, Bob and I were talking at lunch about our love of corn dogs. I mean, it's not like we would eat them every day, but we love a good corn dog a few times a year. I'm talking GOOD corn dogs, like the ones you used to get at Corn Dog on a Stick at East Towne Mall (back in its glory days) or that you get at Denton's today. This also includes the corn dogs you get at the Fair, although I would caution you NOT to eat more than one of those lest you get ill. Don't ask me how I know.
Anyway, our new companion mentioned that she had NEVER eaten a corn dog. I blame this on the fact that Bob and I went to public schools with crappy lunchroom food (like corn dogs), and she went to Catholic school where they had things like "Papa John's Pizza Day" and "Chick-fil-A Day" in the cafeteria. Seriously. Anyway, we couldn't believe that anyone had made it to adulthood without ever tasting yummy breaded and fried hot dog deliciousness, so we quickly made plans for an intervention.
We took her to Denton's, where she ordered both a corn dog and a Philly cheese steak sandwich (in case she didn't like the corn dog). After tasting the corn dog, she seriously regretted ordering the sandwich and was wishing she had ordered a second corn dog instead. YES! We have a convert! She also cast the tie-breaking vote in the long-raging debate between me and Bob as to the better corn dog condiment: ketchup or mustard. Thankfully, she sided with me and went with ketchup. Better luck next time, Bob.
On the way back from Denton's, we stopped at Sonic and got milkshakes (Bob and I) and a malt (our new companion). That led to a discussion of the differences between milkshakes and malts, when it was discovered that the definition of "malted milk" is "a powdered gruel made from a mixture of malted barley, wheat flour, and whole milk." Gruel! It didn't really matter, though, because all three drinks were too thick to drink through a straw. I gave up on mine after drinking only about half of it over a couple of hours, and our companion reported that her malt was still thick three hours later!
In closing, I challenge anyone to ever drink a malt again after learning that it's made from gruel. Your gruelshake will most certainly not be bringing any boys to the yard.
We took her to Denton's, where she ordered both a corn dog and a Philly cheese steak sandwich (in case she didn't like the corn dog). After tasting the corn dog, she seriously regretted ordering the sandwich and was wishing she had ordered a second corn dog instead. YES! We have a convert! She also cast the tie-breaking vote in the long-raging debate between me and Bob as to the better corn dog condiment: ketchup or mustard. Thankfully, she sided with me and went with ketchup. Better luck next time, Bob.
![]() |
| Bob's corn dog from the Fair a couple of years ago. Mustard: yuck. |
On the way back from Denton's, we stopped at Sonic and got milkshakes (Bob and I) and a malt (our new companion). That led to a discussion of the differences between milkshakes and malts, when it was discovered that the definition of "malted milk" is "a powdered gruel made from a mixture of malted barley, wheat flour, and whole milk." Gruel! It didn't really matter, though, because all three drinks were too thick to drink through a straw. I gave up on mine after drinking only about half of it over a couple of hours, and our companion reported that her malt was still thick three hours later!
In closing, I challenge anyone to ever drink a malt again after learning that it's made from gruel. Your gruelshake will most certainly not be bringing any boys to the yard.

No comments:
Post a Comment