I cleaned the tops of my kitchen cabinets this afternoon. And when I say the "tops," I mean the very tops, where people only clean every few years. And when I say "people," I mean people like me. If any of you cleans the tops of your cabinets every week, you're probably judging me harshly right now. That's okay, because I'm judging you, too. Why in the world would anyone want to do that to herself more than once a decade? But I digress. As I was cleaning the tops of these infernal cabinets (well, some of them, anyway - I didn't get finished), I had several thoughts worth sharing:
![]() |
| I made it from the left side to just past the green vase thingy. |
1. I think I got a better arm workout cleaning these cabinets than I did at the gym this afternoon. Of course, I just did the elliptical at the gym, so that makes sense.
2. I should cook less greasy food. I mean seriously, I was using both 409 (which says it's a degreaser) and soapy water made with Dawn (which says it "cuts tough grease"), both paper towels and a scrubby utility towel, and it was barely making a dent. Is this what I'm eating? Gross.
3. Spring cleaning makes no sense when it's snowing outside. This is what prompted me to stop and to vow that I would pick up again when it's really Spring. Well, that and the fact that my arms were killing me.
4. Initially, I swore that when we build our house, my kitchen cabinets will go all the way to the ceiling so we won't have this problem. Then I realized that, as with our current house, the ceilings in the new house will be high, so it's probably not very practical to have cabinets all the way up there where we can't reach them without a commercial-grade ladder (because that only comes in the kitchen when we bring in our gargantuan Christmas tree). My backup plan is to get a bunch of those windshield tear-off things the NASCAR guys use and stick those to the tops of the cabinets. Just tear one off every year, and you're good to go. BAM! Spring cleaning just got a lot easier.
One thought unrelated to the cabinets: there are several blue herons that live in our cove. We see them all the time. The past few days, we've seen a bird hanging out with them that looks just like them, except it's totally white. Is it an albino blue heron? A white heron? Just a heron? I'm intrigued.

Come do mine. If you can't see it, don't mess with it. The white bird is probably a crane.
ReplyDelete