We had the last of our "cupcake opponents" this week and beat them by a comfortable margin, as we should have. Fun fact: the Auburn vs. Florida Atlantic and Alabama vs. Tennessee scores were the exact same this week. 45-10.
There's not much interesting to say about this game. It was another one of those "pleasantly boring" games in that I wasn't stressed out at all and had plenty of time to talk to the people around us and do some people-watching without missing much action on the field.
I will say this, though: Earlier this week Nick Saban called out the Bama fans (especially the students) for leaving their games early when they had a comfortable lead. Basically, he said that he and the players put in countless hours of effort during the week and that all the fans have to do is be there for the game. The players have to play for 60 minutes, and the fans should commit to 60 minutes (game minutes, not actual minutes, of course) of cheering as well. This is actually pretty groundbreaking, so prepare yourselves:
I AGREE with Nick Saban on this. I'm fairly certain I will never say that sentence again. But I think I've made it clear how I feel about people leaving games early. This is especially true in the event of a lopsided loss - the least you can do is stick around to support your team instead of kicking them when they're down by making them look at an empty stadium. Likewise, when there is a lopsided win, show a little appreciation for the team that just allowed you to have a leisurely stadium experience instead of giving you several heart attacks over the last three hours. I really don't think it's too much to ask.
So now that I'm off my soapbox, this week's Weagles go to Jeremy Johnson, our backup quarterback who suddenly had to enter the game when Nick Marshall got injured, and who threw a 36-yard TD pass on his first play off the bench, followed by a 67-yard TD six passes later; and the two or three student organizations that apparently require their members to stay for the entire game (there are a couple of consistent blocks in the student section). Much like with the Western Carolina game, everyone played pretty well, but I'm keeping the level of our opponent in mind and not going overboard with the Weagles.
We travel to Arkansas next weekend for another one of those "toss-up" games. Although I love going to Auburn and don't quite know what to do with myself on away game weekends, I'm looking forward to getting a bit of rest this weekend instead of driving and running on too little sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment