Ben and I took the bus down to Auburn for Homecoming weekend. It was a relatively uneventful trip, in a good way. Friday night we walked downtown and had dinner at (where else?) Hamilton's. Saturday morning I woke up at 6:30 to the sound of the Auburn drumline warming up. The marching band's practice field is about 300 yards away from our RV parking lot. I should mention that the band was practicing when we arrived in Auburn Friday afternoon, and they practiced for a good 2-3 hours Saturday morning as well. Most people would not love being awakened by a marching band at 6:30 in the morning, but I was pretty pumped about it. Nothing says "gameday" like the marching band running through the pregame show.
The game went pretty much as it should have. We beat Western Carolina 62-3. Poor Steven Clark didn't get to punt one time, and Cody Parkey didn't get to attempt any field goals. He even lost a chance to kick a PAT on our last touchdown, when Gus decided to go for 2 (no, he wasn't trying to be a jerk - his "thing" this year has been going for 2 after the first touchdown so it messes with the opposing coaches' heads for the rest of the game. I'm sure he just wanted to get some practice in). We did, however, apparently turn the ball over on downs once in the 4th quarter. I can only assume this is because we were playing our walk-ons at the time, as there were a lot of guys listed in the player participation report who I had never even heard of. Sadly, I do not know firsthand how it went down, as this is the first game in YEARS I have left before the end. I thought I was being a good wife by having Ben put sunscreen on his face for this 1:00 ballgame, but as soon as he started sweating, the sunscreen ran into his eyes, and he was miserable for the entire game. Late in the third quarter, he finally decided he had had enough and wanted to go back to the bus. He would've gone by himself, but I figured I wouldn't miss much if we left, as the score was 56-3 at that time. I know it's shocking, but my husband actually is more important to me than football (I'm sure he'll be glad to hear that). But let's not make a habit of leaving games early, mm-kay? Next time, no sunscreen for you. :-)
One interesting thing in this game: Jeremy Johnson played at QB for pretty much the entire game. Nick Marshall had a non-serious knee injury in the Ole Miss game, and they decided to sit him for this game to get him back to 100% before Texas A&M this weekend. Out of the seemingly dozens of other people they could've chosen to play at QB, they picked the Freshman Johnson, who had previously been headed for a redshirt season. Not sure why they decided to pull his redshirt, but I'm sure they have a plan. In Gus We Trust, right? Anyway, Johnson looked pretty good and was named SEC Freshman of the week, but it was against Western Carolina, so I'm trying to keep it in perspective. I think he played well enough in his debut to earn a Weagle, though. As for other Weagles, well, everybody who played looked pretty good, but considering the opponent, I don't think other Weagles are warranted.
Another bright spot coming from this game (or more likely from some of the upsets occurring on the same day): Auburn is now ranked 24 in AP Poll. Hopefully we can get an upset win at TAMU this weekend and move up even further. WDE!
Another bright spot coming from this game (or more likely from some of the upsets occurring on the same day): Auburn is now ranked 24 in AP Poll. Hopefully we can get an upset win at TAMU this weekend and move up even further. WDE!
No comments:
Post a Comment