byline

Work and Play in Darsi's World

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

BlAUging: Ole Miss: November 1, 2014

What.  A.  Game.  Let's just say I'm glad to have this one behind us!  Number 3 playing against number 4 on the road was bound to be a close, stressful game; and it certainly didn't disappoint.  Both teams put up monster numbers on offense.  What stood out most to me as an Auburn fan was the balance of Auburn's offense.  Over the past couple of years, we have established ourselves as a great rushing team, but our passing game has been less of a factor (whether because we didn't need it due to our great running backs or because we weren't as good at it).  Saturday, though, we had 254 yards through the air and 253 yards on the ground.  Almost perfect balance!  I'll say again that this was achieved against one of the best defenses in the country, which had not previously allowed more than 20 points in a game and, I think, averaged less than 300 yards allowed per game up until this game. 
 
So our offense was clicking pretty well.  And we didn't have any turnovers, which was a welcome highlight.  I mentioned, though, that both teams put up monster numbers on offense, which means that our defense didn't have a stellar night.  They did manage to make critical stops when it counted, however, and they forced a couple of turnovers to stop Ole Miss goal-line drives and secure the win for Auburn.   A lot of people (non-Auburn fans, obviously) keep saying that Auburn is "lucky" to get this win (and several before it).  I don't see how luck has anything to do with making great defensive plays and having over 500 yards of offense against a really good defense.  We even hampered ourselves with 145 penalty yards, giving Ole Miss five drive-saving first downs off of penalties!  We weren't lucky that Bo Wallace or Laquon Treadwell fumbled.  A sudden gust of wind didn't blow the ball out of their hands.  Our defense made plays on the ball and caused those turnovers.  That is skill and determination, not luck.  But whatever.  If it makes losing teams (and their fans) feel better to call us lucky, then who am I to deny them happiness?  

Despite the fact that a great defensive play caused the Laquon Treadwell fumble, obviously I hate that he broke his leg and dislocated his ankle on that play.  No one (or no sane person, anyway) wishes for an athlete to be injured, even when he is having a great game against your favorite team.  That injury definitely took the celebration out of Auburn's win, and I wish that young man only the best in his recovery.    

On to Weagles: Nick Marshall passed for 254 yards and 2 TDs (!), in addition to his 50 yards and 2 TDs rushing, so he gets two Weagles for that.  Sammie Coates and Duke Williams had some GREAT catches, including a 57-yarder to Coates for a tying score, another 41-yarder to Coates on 3rd and 9 to extend a drive, and a 41-yarder to Williams (again to extend a drive on 3rd and 11 from our own 26).  Sammie had a total of 5 catches for 122 yards and a TD.  Sammie gets two Weagles; Duke gets one.  Cameron Artis-Payne gets a Weagle for his 143 rushing yards and a touchdown.  Kris Frost gets a Weagle for the great defensive plays he made, especially the takedown of Treadwell and forced fumble that saved the lead at the end of the game for Auburn.  Obviously, it wasn't Frost's intent to injure Treadwell; and it was a beautiful defensive play outside of the injury.  Cassanova McKinzy gets a Weagle for recovering Treadwell's fumble to complete the play.  Angelo Blackson gets a Weagle for his 2.5 tackles for loss, including a sack; and Gimel President gets a Weagle for his 9-yard sack.

Despite a really close, frustrating game, I really just can't dislike Ole Miss.  Their coach and our coach are good friends, and it looked like the two of them instilled in their players a respect for the other team.  I saw a lot of great sportsmanship in this game, like a player helping an opposing player off the turf after a play (that happened several times), or a player patting an opposing player on the head after a play as if to say, "Hey, good job there."  It was just really refreshing.  And of course, I can't forget how well the Ole Miss fans treated us when we were in Oxford a couple of weeks ago for the Tennessee game.  It also warmed my heart when one of my Ole Miss friends texted me to congratulate me on the win after the game.  Ole Miss folks are, in general, really nice people.  I'm obviously a very zealous fan of Auburn, but sportsmanship is a huge thing to me.  I really enjoy when everything is about the game on the field and it doesn't turn into a personal vendetta. 

Outside of Auburn football last weekend, what a great OT win for the Vols against South Carolina!  I was glad to be able to catch the end of that game once mine had ended.  And Florida over Georgia?  Unthinkable!  It was a good day to camp out on the couch and watch football all day. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment