byline

Work and Play in Darsi's World

Friday, October 31, 2014

BlAUging: South Carolina weekend: October 24-26, 2014

Shew.  For the first time ever, I drove home from Auburn Sunday when I was probably too sleepy to be driving.  I should've slept for a couple more hours, but I was anxious to get back and spend some time with Dev.  I ended up only getting to spend about 2.5 hours with her, though, and I had to go home and go back to bed.  I barely woke up long enough to eat dinner.  That SC game took a bunch out of me that I haven't quite gotten back yet.  But let's start at the beginning.
 
Last weekend I stayed at a hotel in Columbus, GA.  I had dinner reservations on the field for Friday night and didn't want to drive back to Birmingham afterwards and back to Auburn again for the game Saturday.  I would've liked to have stayed closer to Auburn, but Columbus was as close as I could get making reservations two weeks prior to the game.  I'd never been there before, but it's not a bad drive over to Auburn.
 
Anyway, I went to Café Jordan-Hare Friday night.  This was my third year going to that event, and I have to say it was probably the best yet.  I went by myself (because neither Ben nor Caryn could go), but I met some friends there whom Caryn and I met at last year's CJH.  We had so much fun with them last year that I Facebook stalked them so we could get together again this year, and I've got to say I had even more fun this year.  This is now an annual tradition - I hope you can handle us, Auburn.   
 
 
 
 
Saturday, Caryn drove down and met me in Auburn for the game.  We got there a few hours early and had time to grab a pre-game meal (Lunch?  Dinner?  I don't really know.) at Hamilton's and some Toomer's lemonade before heading to the stadium.  
 
 
 
 
The game itself was pretty crazy.  South Carolina has been inconsistent at best this year, and I think pretty much everyone chalked this up to a relatively easy win.  I know when people at work would ask me who we were playing this week, they'd always say, "Oh, well that should be easy."  But I never take anything for granted, so I was ready to cheer as loudly as necessary to help us get the W.  Apparently, however, a good 70% of the crowd just couldn't get up for this game and never really got into the whole yelling thing.  I couldn't believe how quiet the stadium was when USC was on offense AND THE GAME WAS TIED MOST OF THE WAY THROUGH.  GET UP AND YELL, PEOPLE!!!  Seriously - what is wrong with you?  Why are you even here??  I saw at least one message board post from a South Carolina fan recapping his trip and saying that he was surprised that the stadium wasn't louder.  That's just embarrassing.  GET IT TOGETHER. 
 
Man, Steve Spurrier Spurriered the crap out of us.  He threw everything he had in his playbook - reverses, reverses of reverses, an onsides kick, GOING FOR IT ON EVERY FREAKING 4TH DOWN except for one (and converting on 5 out of 6 of them!).  It was exhausting.  I've got to admire his gumption - and really, he came very close to beating us with those shenanigans!  Our defense did not have its best game.  I think this is the first game this season that I've had any serious complaints about the defense's performance, because they've been pretty solid.  They gave up nearly  600 yards to South Carolina, though, so obviously that's a problem.  Luckily, however, our offense was able to run over South Carolina's defense a little better than their offense ran over our defense.  We've got to step up our game when we head to Ole Miss this weekend!  Eliminations for the playoff start now, folks. 

In somewhat related news, a guy died of a heart attack in the stands at LSU last weekend.  I can't tell you how many times I've felt my pulse racing and my chest tighten and wondered if the same thing was going to happen to me.  Please don't make me die of a heart attack, guys.  

Meanwhile, in trying to make up for the fact that we have some seriously deficient yellers in our section, I lost most of my voice, and it's still not fully recovered.  Seriously - y'all better get your heads (and your voices) in the game for TAMU next week.  I can't float this ship by myself.          

Let's Weagle, shall we?  Jonathan Jones gets a Weagle for his 2 interceptions IN THE END ZONE, including the final one that sealed the win for us.  Ricardo Louis gets a Weagle for his 102 yards rushing, including a 75-yard touchdown run.  Kris Frost gets a Weagle for his 14 tackles (honestly, it seemed like he had at least 20 - they were calling his name all night).  Brandon Fulse gets a Weagle for his first career touchdown catch.  He's usually an unsung hero of the blocking game, but he got a chance at the spotlight this week.  Cameron Artis-Payne (167 rushing yards) and Nick Marshall (89 rushing yards and 3 rushing touchdowns, 139 passing yards and 1 passing touchdown) each get a Weagle.  Duke Williams gets a Weagle for making a couple more clutch catches in coverage (pardon the alliteration).
 
On to this week's match-up with Ole Miss.  One game at a time, gentlemen.       

No comments:

Post a Comment