byline

Work and Play in Darsi's World

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Construction Blogging: Buttoning Up

The past couple of days have just been a bunch of random stuff going on to try to get the house lockable and in the dry.  We were surprised that our custom front door arrived yesterday - we weren't expecting it for a while.  I had a very specific look in mind for the front door, and I thought it was really simple.  For some reason, however, all of the door manufacturers make that type of door (with the side lights we wanted) only in a 6'8" height, and we needed an 8' door.  So, as is my luck, we ended up having to order a more expensive, custom-made door to get what we wanted.  That sucked, but there are some things I just don't think you can skimp on, and the front door is the thing everyone sees when they come to your house.  So we sucked it up and ordered the door.  And it's almost perfect.  Unfortunately, the guy included a "dentil shelf" on the door, which I did not want.  Not part of the look I was going for at all.  Our builder thinks it can be easily removed without damaging the actual door, and I hope that's the case.   
 
Beautiful door, except for the unwanted shelf

Side lights

The framers have been back the past couple of days finishing the roof over the deck so we can start putting shingles on.  And Phillip's guys have been here installing more windows.


The framers have also framed in the opening that they (and we) were previously using as a door so that it is now the size of the window that will eventually be there (it's the laundry room).  
 

 
Phillip still has to figure out how he's going to connect the roof of the house to the roof of the garage so that we can do all of the roof shingles at the same time.  We also didn't get the concrete poured for the front porch over the past couple of days.  I'm hoping maybe we can take care of some of that tomorrow.  We never know what we're going to see when we come home!


No comments:

Post a Comment