byline

Work and Play in Darsi's World

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Construction Blogging: More Finish-y Stuff

Well, we're still in the home stretch; it just stretches on for a really long time.  While we were on vacation a couple of weeks ago, we got stair treads, baseboards (most of them), doors (again, most of them), and some of the deck rail.
 




 
Last week, we got stair railings and the rail for the opening between my office (upstairs) and the living room (downstairs).
 

 
We also finally got the windows installed in the vault:
 


Y'all know I've had a bit of a struggle with these windows (to put it mildly).  I'm still really struggling to like them (because this is the way they're going to be, whether I like them or not), and I think I will eventually.  I just have to get used to them.  Also, I think it'll help when the guys get them trimmed out because right now they just look too different from the bottom windows/doors for me to be able to feel like they look good together.  
 
This weekend while I was gone to Auburn (well, mostly Friday before I left, but I headed to Auburn right after work, so I didn't get to see it until today), they got all of the tongue-and-groove stuff put up in the front porch ceiling, and they've got about 2/3 of the vaulted ceiling on the back deck done.  This stain is close (not exact, but close) to the stain we'll have on our floors, the front door, etc.  It's really hard to match the stain on all these things (including the stair treads and railings, the front porch posts, and the beams in the vault) when there are several different types of wood involved.  We have little sample blocks of wood laying around everywhere with 4-5 different stain patches on them.  And even though the colors look different in the two pictures below, they are the same.  I guess the lighting just makes them look different.  The second picture (from the back deck) is the true color.
  

 
Finally, I was SUPER excited to see that my awesome living room fan arrived this week.  It's still in pieces and in boxes (mostly), so no pictures yet, but I can't wait to see that bad boy fully assembled.  This coming week, we should be seeing the heat and air units installed and the electrical turned on (the air has to be running for a few days before we have flooring installed, and flooring installation starts on the 18th).  Maybe once we get electrical (and once the living room beams are stained), they will give me my fan!


1 comment:

  1. So excited for you! I can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete